Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Pond Fishing at its Best

Sometimes you just can't beat a farm pond for good fishing. Ed, Ben, and I spent Sunday morning fishing several beautiful ponds that are exclusively used for fishing; there are no cows in the water, just bass, catfish, bluegills, and a few huge carp. My wife's uncle takes good care of these miniature lakes and it shows. The bass seem noticeably larger this year.

We mostly fished top water. Ed used a torpedo and I used a popper. I also caught several on a woolly bugger and Ben caught four on a rubber minnow.

Ed caught the largest fish of the day before I even had my line in the water. There's a picture in yesterday's post. I caught the second largest on my last cast of the day. That last fish grabbed my popper and wrapped it around a limb on the bottom. We had to hull in the fish, limb and all, which wasn't easy because the tippet was only a three pound test.


All in all, it was one of the best times I've had on those ponds, and I've had some really good fishing there. It was fun because the fish are getting bigger and because Ben had a great time with his uncle and dad. He's a much more independent fisherman this year, and starting to show some impressive casting and fish fighting skills, but I'm probably just a little biased.

No comments: